This blog is now exclusively devoted to crafting in general, and the shop in particular! Pretty much all of my personal content has been moved to a new blog, one that is intended primarily to help keep our family and friends in the loop. (If you are interested in following the new blog, you will find it here.) This blog will continue to feature shop news, new listings, sales, giveaways, and all of my share-worthy crafting exploits.

Sunday, August 22, 2010


 I started painting this set of jungle figurines for Elora 2 years ago, while I was still pregnant.

I got the elephant and the giraffe finished, but the zebra has been sitting alone and half-done for 2 years.  Well, now that my move is pending and I officially ran out of time, I got him done.

The set is finally complete.

While I was at it, I painted a couple of the mini figurines.  One will be joining the jungle set, the other will find its way into a Christmas stocking this December.

I sponged them both a solid green, then painted on some of the details with the glaze, so that they're textured.  It wasn't quite the color I was expecting, but I still like the final result.

Friday, August 6, 2010

VoilĂ ! Dresses of Voile

Brandon was kind enough to let me spend last evening at the shop, getting some more sewing done.  I actually crashed a party of quilters who had come for the long evening as well-- did you know they're open until 9 on Thursdays now?  They were terribly sweet in welcoming me to join them, and we had a good evening.  They all oohed and aahed over the little dresses I was working on, which of course pleased me to no end.  And while I sat shirring away, I got to watch them all working on Irish chain quilts, offering my opinion of color when asked.  I was grateful that while my project was just as tedious, it was far less complicated.

Oh goodness, and I nearly forgot the sideways-rain and umbrella-theft portion of my night.  I made a run to Subway to get dinner for myself and a few of the other ladies, hoping to make it there and back before the bottom dropped out of the sky.  I borrowed an umbrella from the office since it had already started to rain.  It worked well until I was about a third of the way there, when it started to come down in heavy, sideways-blowing torrents.  I was soaked from the knees down.  When I got there, I left the umbrella by the door to order the sandwiches, but when I went to leave, the umbrella was gone.

That's right, someone stole the umbrella.

Thankfully, the rain slowed to the merest drizzle while I walked back, before resuming its previous downpour.  I made it back no wetter than I was when I reached the Subway.  Kelly had already left, and Mary assured me that it was only an umbrella left behind by a customer at some point, but still.  Oh well, at least we got a good laugh out of it all.

I got the repairs done to that first little dress, and stitched the straps on the back.  (They're actually just tucked in to the front, in the picture.)  I put them in the wrong place, though, so I have since taken them off, to be put back on in the right place later.

And, I got the green one done, except for the straps.  I just left them off completely on this one, because I was pretty sure the blue ones were wrong.  Since Sara will be here this afternoon, I probably won't get them on until after she leaves.  But since summer has already pulled a peace out, I don't think it matters.  I just hope it's still warm in Florida (definitely) and Virginia (probably) when we get there. 

I'm so excited about Sara being here!  We have a lot of fun stuff planned, starting with a trip to Salzburg, and a stop at Neuswanstein en route, this weekend.  Plus, she's going to help me with some of the not-so-fun moving stuff, which is going to be awesome.  Bring it on!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Shirring Really IS Easy!!

I spent a good 4 or 5 hours with a sewing machine yesterday.  I got the fabric cut for my shirred voile skirt, then realized I probably ought to start with something smaller and less daunting and switched to working on Elora's matching dress.  I'm not going to lie, I was pretty intimidated by this whole shirring thing, despite being told numerous times that it's ridiculously easy.  But you know, they were right!
I managed to get Elora's dress almost completely finished (sorry for the crummy picture).  All I had left to do was to sew on the straps, but I wanted to try it on her before I added them.  I had this nagging suspicion that the elastic around the top would be too tight, and I was right. (Sometimes, I really hate being right.)  So, I am going to take apart the very top of the dress so I can take out the elastic.  Then, once I get it put back together, I am going to add 2 more rows of shirring at the top to replace it.  I know it's going to be dodgy trying to do the shirring with it already put together, but hopefully it won't be too bad.